Special Purpose Machines
Special Purpose Machines are Cranfield Precision's main business. We produce state-of-the-art ultra precision special purpose machines to meet your manufacturing challenges.
We take your specification and requirements from initial design study and concept through to full scale special purpose machine design and build. We do this by employing a number of advanced design techniques such as Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Design Study, Risk Analysis, 3D (CAD) Computer Aided Design models all based on our 50 years experience in the Machine Tool Industry.
These are generally one-off special purpose machines developed to their full potential at Cranfield Precision with the manufacturing facility at Fives Landis Limited capable of Batch Production.
Below is a list of machines that Cranfield Precision has designed and manufactured.
- Large CNC co-ordinate measuring machine, 4m x 2m x 1.5m.
- High precision CNC cylindrical grinding machine with 0.1µm accuracy.
- 7 axis surface grinding machine for ceramic material.
- 17 axis flexible manufacturing cell for end mills.
- Internal cam ring grinding machine.
- 3 axis motion simulator for aircraft guidance system testing.
- Computer controlled X-Y stage for astronomical star plate measurement.
- Profilometer for small aspheric lenses with 25nm (1µin) accuracy.
- Profilometer for large optical components up to 1m diameter.
- 1.4m capacity diamond turning machine.
- 3 axis CNC machine for grinding complex surfaces of large mirrors over an area of 2.5m x 2.5m (100in x 100in)